Fling Fest 2013 – calling all young film-makers
Are you a young person with a talent for film-making?
The festival is for those aged between 12 and 25 with a connection to Moonee Valley. Films that are entered have the chance of being screened on the night. Finalist films are then judged by a panel of industry experts and go in the running to win major prizes.
Create a short film that offers the audience an entertaining and interesting insight into our community and world. Each film should be unique and cover a diverse range of issues, ideas or images. Creativity and simple story telling is the key to a successful and meaningful short film.
Create an artistic piece using film or music performance video. Each video should be unique, creative and showcasing the artistic merit of the cinematographer or showcasing the artist i.e. dancer, vocal performer etc.
This year there is a special prize for anti-bullying themed films.
Get in quick!
Entries close on Wednesday, 18 September.
How to enter
Read the submission information, complete the online entry form, and return the signed Participation Agreement with two copies of your film.
Fill out the online form
Print out the Participation Agreement Document (link to document) and send back to us with two copies of your film.
Criteria for selection
- Online registration form must be filled in.
- Film makers need to be aged between 12-25 years of age
- Preference will be given to films made produced by young people who live, work or study within the City of Moonee Valley.
- Films submitted must be suitable for a young adult audience
- Film content should be creative, have broad appeal and demonstrate artistic and technical skills
- Obtain permission to use other people’s music, pictures and footage before using them. For more information about obtaining permission visit the Flicker Fest Film Makers Resource website.
- Maximum length of short films to be 10 minutes including titles and credits
- Maximum length of Video Art to be 5 minutes including titles and credits
- Entries must be submitted on high quality data files. These data files need to be in an .mp4, .mov, .wmv, format on two separate DVDs
- Participation Agreement form filled in and sent back to us
- The festival will not select films:
- With excessive violence, sexual references, profanity, coarse language or with content that supports racial, cultural, sexuality or gender bias
- With technical glitches
All films entered will be judged according to the following criteria. The judge’s decision on the day is final.
- Is it original?
- Was it captivating?
- What is the aim/purpose of the film/video?
- Does it successfully achieve its aim/purpose?
- Are technical skills and/ or methods used?
- Does the cinematographer make good use of lighting and camera positioning?
- Does the film flawlessly flow from scene to scene?
- Does the editing aid or hinder the emotional build-up or artist?
- Is it original?
- Does it capture the mood of the scene?
- Do the performers enhance the film/video?
- Are the selected performers suited for their roles?
- Level of engagement
- Clarity of vision
Awards will be presented in the following categories:
- 1st Prize – Short Film
- 1st Prize – Video Art
- Bully Zero Australia Foundation Award
- Best Young Actor
- People Choice Award
- Local Talent Award
Submitting your film
Send entries (on two DVDs) to:
Fling Fest 2013
Moonee Valley City Council Youth Services
PO Box 126
Moonee Ponds, Victoria 3039
Fling Fest screening
When: 7pm until 9pm on Thursday, 24 October
Where: Village Cinemas, Airport West.
This Freeza event is proudly supported by Bully Zero Australia Foundation and Bendigo Bank.
Need more information?
For more information on Fling Fest contact Youth Services on 9243 8888 or email@example.com