Essendon & Moonee Valley Blog

Information, News, Links, Property & Community

Visit our Museum

The Essendon Historical Society maintains a Museum of photos, books, realia and ephemera at the old Courthouse in Moonee Ponds.
The Courthouse was built in 1890, designed by Public Works Department architect
S E Bindley.   It operated as a Magistrate’s Court until 1975, the new Courthouse having commenced operations in 1972.  The Essendon Historical Society was instrumental in saving the building from demolition, and in 1980 was granted occupancy of the building in which to operate a Museum.  The building was  classified by the National Trust in 1975, and in 1996 it was placed on the Historic Buildings Register.  The Courthouse also houses our extensive collection of photos, books and ephemera.


The Museum is open on Sundays from 2 until 5 pm, from February to 21 December, closed on Easter Sunday. The Courthouse is located on the corner of Mt Alexander Rd and Kellaway Ave,  Moonee Ponds 3039.  Melways Ref: 28 J6

This entry was posted in Local News, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *