The Essendon Historical Society was founded in 1972. The society collects and promotes information for areas within the City of Moonee Valley and covers the suburbs of Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Flemington, Strathmore and Kensington. The Museum and local Resource Centre is located in the old Moonee Ponds Courthouse which was built in 1890. It was designed by Public Works Department architect S E Bindley. It operated as a Magistrate’s Court until 1975, the new Courthouse having commenced operations in 1972. The Essendon Historical Society was instrumental in saving the building from demolition, and in 1980 was granted occupancy of the building in which to operate a Museum. The building was classified by the National Trust in 1975, and in 1996 it was placed on the Historic Buildings Register. The Courthouse also houses our extensive collection of photos, books, realia and ephemera.
The Museum is open on Sundays from 2 until 5 pm, from February to early December, closed on Easter Sunday. The Courthouse is located on the corner of Mt Alexander Rd and Kellaway Ave, Moonee Ponds 3039. Melways Ref: 28 J6