The Essendon Historical Society was formed in 1970, and remains active in the local community. In 1980 the EHS opened a local history museum in the former Moonee Ponds Courthouse. At the Museum you will find displays of photographs and ephemera related to the history of the district, and also research facilities for family and local historians.
The Courthouse was built in 1890, designed by architect S E Bindley of the Public Works Department. It operated as a Courthouse until 1975, the new Courthouse having commenced operations in 1972. The Essendon Historical Society was instrumental in saving the building from the wreckers, and in 1980 was granted occupancy of the building in which to operate a Museum. The building was classified by the National Trust in 1975, and in 1996 it was placed on the Historic Buildings Register.
The Courthouse is located on the corner of Mt Alexander Rd and Kellaway Ave, Moonee Ponds 3039. Melways Ref: 28 J6
Opening hours at the Museum are on Sundays from 2 until 5 p.m., or for groups by appointment.
Entry is by donation of $2.00, students $1.00, children free.
Write to the Society at:
Essendon Historical Society Inc,
Old Moonee Ponds Courthouse Museum,
768 Mt Alexander Rd,